Are you CQUIN compliant?
The CQUIN scheme, standing for Commissioning for Quality and Innovation, was introduced in 2009 to encourage change in the NHS by making a portion of income conditional depending on the success of set targets.
The scheme has evolved each year to both develop existing goals and introduce new goals. Now, sitting in 2018/19, the goals are as follows;
- 80% of drinks lines stocked must have less than 5 grams of added sugar per 100ml. This includes energy drinks, fruit juices and milk-based drinks (with sugar content of over 10grams per 100ml), showing a 10% increase from year 1
- 80% of confectionery and sweets do not exceed 250 kcal, seeing an increase of 20% from year 1
- At least 75% of pre-packed sandwiches and other savoury pre-packed meals (wraps, salads, pasta salads) available contain 400kcal (1680 kJ) or less per serving and do not exceed 5.0g saturated fat per 100g, an increase of 15% from year 1
With the inclusion of maintaining the following existing goals;
- The banning of price promotions on sugary drinks and foods high in fat, sugar or salt (HFSS)
- The banning of advertisement on NHS premises of sugary drinks and foods high in fat, sugar or salt (HFSS)
- The banning of sugary drinks and foods high in fat, sugar or salt (HFSS) from checkouts
- Ensuring that healthy options are available at any point, including for those staff working night shifts
The SSB Scheme
In addition to the goals set out above, each NHS outlet is asked, voluntarily, to reduce the amount of sugar-sweetened beverages (SSBs) sold on their premises, with the aim of the litres of SSBs sold accounting for 10% or less of the total volume of drinks sold in 2018/19.
The scheme was introduced in July 2017 and requires each outlet to report to NHS England with the data regarding the volume of SSBs sold.
An update on the current progress of the scheme was given in June 2018, which showed between July 2017 and March 2018, the sale of SSBs reduced from 15.6% to 8.7% of total drink sales. The significant reduction has allowed for the NHS to avoid a total ban on the sale of SSBs at this time.
How can we help?
“At Refreshment Systems Ltd., we aim to enable our customers to make healthier food and drink choices. We offer an extensive product range that supports health and wellbeing, as well as catering to a growing list of dietary and lifestyle requirements. These include products suitable for both vegans and vegetarians, as well as ‘free-from’ diets such as dairy-free or gluten free. We also stock several products which are free from all 12 declarable allergens.
Many of our products also comply with government and NHS guidelines on healthier eating and snacking. These include limits on sugar in drinks (less than 5g of added sugar per 100ml), reduced portion size for savoury snacks such as crisps (30g bags or less) and lower calorie sweets and confectionery (no more than 250 calories per item).” – Steve May, Commercial Director.
As you can see, we are dedicated to supporting our customers and like to take a partnership type approach, learning all we can about what you require and advising you on the best way to achieve your goals.
With some of our NHS clients we have gone above and beyond the current CQUIN requirements. With 100% of their beverages not exceeding 5g of sugar per 100ml and all of their vended products being free from undesirable additives, artificial trans fats or genetically modified ingredients.
Furthermore, our vending machines can be fitted with a guaranteed vend system so your staff and visitors are never left disappointed. Along with our highly skilled engineers maintaining the machines to ensure smooth operation and, in the event that anything does go wrong, we resolve 80% of breakdowns in as little as 4 hours, and 99% in as little as 8 hours.
We want to provide ‘Awesome Refreshments. Whenever’ so, with this in mind, our Buying team have worked hard to bring you an excellent choice of products to fill your vending machines with. We have spent the last 12 months trialling, sampling and tasting the products whilst analysing sales data through our dynamic reporting software.
With a range of planograms to choose from we have ensured great merchandising, stock control and choice for the end user.
The products themselves are incredibly exciting and interesting, some examples are;
Hummus Chips, Lentil Chips, Quinoa Chips
- Number 1 healthier snacking brand in the UK
- Number 1 spicy snacking brand in UK
- Gluten free
- No added sugar
- Free from all 14 declarable allergens
- Lower fat than crisps
- Free from artificial ingredients
- Kosher certified
- Vegetarian and vegan
- Gluten free
- Low in saturated fat
- Vegetarian and vegan
- Free from major allergens
- Source of vitamins and minerals e.g Vitamin E and Iron
- Winners of Taste Award
- High quality premium snack
Oh So Scrummy Cakes
Chocolate Brownie, Rocky Road, Mini Gingerbread, Mini Shortbread
- Free from hydrogenated fats
- Free from artificial flavours
- No GMO
The Chocolate Brownie and Rocky Road offer premium indulgence to customers, a welcome sweet treat for the mid-afternoon slump.
Chocolate brownie, Mini Gingerbread and Mini Shortbread are CQUIN compliant, while also being great for families and sharing.
Not just for hospitals!
There are, of course, many organisations that require healthy vending, so this is available to anyone who would prefer to offer healthy snacks and drinks to their staff and customers. We can offer a totally healthy planogram, a mixture of standard and healthy products or purely standard products.
Offering healthy snacks in the workplace can instil a sense of employer care and responsibility, not to mention the obvious health benefits.